April 28

This Tuesday, we first started our day with a nice and hearty group breakfast. Soon after, we walked to Trinity College where we not only visited the campus but also viewed the Book of Kells and the Trinity Library.
The Book of Kells is an illuminated manuscript Gospel book in Latin, containing the four Gospels of the New Testament together with various prefatory texts and tables.
The manuscript takes its name from the Abbey of Kells, which was its home for centuries. Today, it is on permanent display at Trinity College Library, Dublin. The Library usually displays two of the current four volumes at a time, one showing a major illustration and the other showing typical text pages.

Once we left Trinity, we hopped back onto the bus and headed towards the Dublin Castle. We were the first class in Elmira College history to be able to view the inner rooms of the castle including, a dining room and the king's thrown.

After the Dublin Castle, we got on the hop on-hop off  tour bus and headed for the Guinness Storehouse. Here we learned all about the processes of how Guinness is made. The Guinness Storehouse is on 64 acres of land! In the storehouse, we were also able to taste 2-day old brewed Guinness.

The Guinness Storehouse is a Guinness-themed tourist attraction at St. James's Gate Brewery in DublinIreland.

  • The Storehouse covers seven floors surrounding a glass atrium shaped in the form of a pint of Guinness. The ground floor introduces the beer's four ingredients (water, barley, hops and yeast), and the brewery's founder, Arthur Guinness. Other floors feature the history of Guinness advertising and include an interactive exhibit on responsible drinking.

Next, we headed to the Kilmainham Jail, where we got a tour of the prison grounds. The tour allowed us to see first hand where inmates were kept and the stories that went along with certain parts of the grounds.

Kilmainham Gaol is a former prison in KilmainhamDublin, Ireland. Many Irish revolutionaries, including the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising, were imprisoned and executed in the prison by the British, and in 1923 by the Irish Free State.

  • Originally, public hangings took place at the front of the gaol. However, from the 1820s onward very few hangings, public or private, took place at Kilmainham.

After a very long day of site seeing, we finally got the chance to eat! We ate dinner at a restaurant called Cafe en Seine. Here, we enjoyed the options of a turkey burger, an Irish burger, or fish and chips! We are excited to see what adventures are in store for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment