- In August of 1800 work began on the construction of a military road through Wicklow Mountains. The first barracks to be built on the military road was at Glencree and was designed to house a garrison of 100 soldiers.
- Founded in 1974 as a response to violent conflict in Irish society
- Following the outbreak of Sectarian violence and bombings in Belfast, in 1972, a number of individual people in groups met in Dublin to give violence to the grave concerns of the public at large regarding the escalating violence.
- A group of dedicated people set out to establish a base from which tangible initiatives in peace building and reconciliation could be developed.
To the right is a picture of what remains of the Cathedral, it dates back to the 12th and early 13th centuries.
As stories tell if a person could hug Saint Kevin's Cross (depicted right and left) and have their fingers meet they were free of sin, if not then they were a sinner. Most men are capable of fingers touching where as most females are unsuccessful.
- The next stop on our tour was to the village of Avoca, where the Avoca Hand-weavers were founded and still remain as a working mill today.
- Avoca Mill is the oldest working woolen mill in Ireland and one of the worlds oldest manufacturing companies.
- Color was first introduced in the 1920's
- The material produced was used to make baby blankets for the children of Queen Elizabeth the Second.